Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How do I change the number label on a clear plastic dial Western Electric rotary phone?

I've have a Western Electric desk phone from the 70s. I'd like to change the label in the plastic dial to my current phone number, but have no idea how to get to it. Does the center pop out somehow? Do I need to remove the entire dial? If I remove the dial, will I find I can't get it back on?



Any help is appreciated.



JimHow do I change the number label on a clear plastic dial Western Electric rotary phone?
insert a paper clip in the small hole between the #9 and #0. There is a small metal tab underneath the plastic fingerwheel. While depressing that small metal tab, turn the plastic fingerwheel counter clockwise to remove the fingerwheel.How do I change the number label on a clear plastic dial Western Electric rotary phone?
all I had to do was turn the dial past the zero finger hole to remove the plastic fingerwheel on my March 1983 model Stromberg Carlson. In other words, zero's finger hole was turned past the metal fingerstop .

Report Abuse


use a nail file... the center pops out
Look for a small hole in the ring around the number. I used a paper clip tip to fit. Dial a 9 or 0, and push the pin in the hole. I believe you turn the disk clockwise to remove it. To replace, it has to be pushed on and rotated counter to lock. You will hear a click. When putting it back on, make the number tilted to the right a little, so you can rotate it into a lock condition..Haven't done it in years, but that is my best recolection.

No comments:

Post a Comment