Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How do I change mobile phone service providers and keep my old number?

I recently changed phones from a Motorola E550 to a Nokia N95 and with it changes to the service providers. I went from T-Mobile Pay as You Go on the Motorola to a contract with O2 on the N95. My question is how do I carry over my old mobile number from my Motorola to my Nokia?



I have asked for my PAC code from T-Mobile and given it to 02 and they said it'd work within 5 working days. It's been about that time but my old number still goes to my old phone. I may be being stupid now, but which SIM card should be in my new phone? The old T-Mobile one or the new O2 one? Currently the old T-Mobile one is in my old phone and the new O2 one in my new phone. If I put the old T-Mobile one in my new phone, my old number will work on the new phone BUT it changes the service provider to T-Mobile as well which isn't what I want.



What should I do? Anyone know the answer to my problem?How do I change mobile phone service providers and keep my old number?
Keep the old SIM in the old phone, the new SIM in the new phone, and call your new provider and tell them ';your number didn't port successfully'; - you have to have all the account info exactly right or the carrier will deny the request to port the number to the new provider. If you have a copy of your most recent T-Mobile bill (so you can give O2 the account info) that would help them resubmit the port request. If all the info is correct, the request can go through in about 45 minutes time.



Good luck!

Dave G.How do I change mobile phone service providers and keep my old number?
As mentioned earlier, contact O2 (your new provider) asking them for an update on the number port. T-mobile should not block it, as they have issued a PAC authorisation code to you. Note that these PAC codes are usually only valid for 30 days, so if it's been longer than this, you may need to request another PAC code from T-Mobile.



Pay As You Go customers have the same rights to move supplier as contract customers.
Assuming you could keep a number from a prepaid phone (which I seriously doubt you can do) you would have had to gone to the cell phone place that you wanted the new phone from and told them you wanted to keep your old number then disconnected the old phone. If they already gave you a new number then it's not going to work.
Keep the new sim in the new phone and just wait for it, sometimes they are slow to change them depending on how much work they have on.



I would say give it a few days and if it still hasnt worked give them a ring

No comments:

Post a Comment