Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Changing phone number to get rid of creditors?

I am going to be declaring bankruptcy within the next month. At the moment, I'm nearing 60 days without paying my creditors and now two CC companies are calling me at least three times a day. They are always polite, but they're an obvious nuisance. I know that they will eventually find the new number, but since I'll be declaring bankruptcy soon, this may at least stall them for a few weeks.



Another consideration: my temp job is about to end and I've compiled a list of about 50 contacts I've made in the last year for work. I'm updating my resume and sending it to all of them, so if I want to change my contact info, it should be done, obviously, before this mass email goes out.



Does anyone know how long before creditors can find the new number? I don't have any collection agencies after me, just the credit card companies. Also, does anyone with AT%26amp;T know how much it costs to change your number when you're not moving to a new state?Changing phone number to get rid of creditors?
Changing your phone number won't help. However, once you've retained an attorney, and you give the creditor the information, they are no longer allowed to call you. You can go to numerous websites to find out the consume debt collection laws in your state. A creditor is not allowed to leave more than 1 message a day, but they can call more than once a day. Hurry up and retain an attorney.Changing phone number to get rid of creditors?
Just tell them by the law that the only contact you will accept is my mail. Part of the FDCPA collection laws
1-switch numbers and make the number unlisted OR

2- hook up an answering machine, turn the volume down low and screen EVERY phone call - just don;t talk to them - as soon as you have a bankruptcy filing number, then you can talk to them - give them that number and they are not allowed to call you anymore after that. until you actually have that bankruptcy filing number though, they will keep bothering you



phone company might charge a standard new number connection charge - call and ask

No comments:

Post a Comment